View Single Post
      09-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
WillC310
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I don't see what he proved in that post that would lead you to conclude that it was "sad" that BMW didn't cover him. I know he *said* he had bent valves, but unless I'm missing a post, I didn't see anything proving that.

He also never indicated who tuned his car, or what specific information the regional rep gave him. He easily could have had a shitty tune which blew out his ringlands...he could have money-shifted the engine. There are a number of things that could have gone wrong here.

But, like I said, you are really taking full responsibility for your car if you start messing with the programing. But if you buy the programing from a reputable tuner, I think your chances of encountering issues are very low.
I think it's sad because IMO BMW never conclusively proved what he did messed up his car. They just said, hey, your ECU has been modded, too bad. Trust me, I understand their point, but if you're going to say that you messed up he motor due to an ECU tune, it would be nice to know wtf caused it.

It's entirely possible the tune did cause it somehow but it's possible that it didn't. He never did disclose who tuned the car -- not sure why -- but AFAIK it never was made public. Liability perhaps? He said he has DCT so a money shift should not be possible and he also claims that the rev limiter was not touched. A number of things could have caused it, but it was never identified is what gets me.

I just wanted to point out that when people put on performance mods then wonder if BMW will warranty their car the answer isn't always going to be yes.
Appreciate 0