View Single Post
      10-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Bmw M3 Guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

ESS software tune ECU loading question regarding my stock file.

I have a 2008 E92 and I bought the flash tuner because I have the CEL from the GTM RPI exhaust. I loaded the stock file to the direct flash tuner, sent it to ESS and got the new file but had a concern before I try it. Here is the response from a very helpful ESS representative.

"Hi Justin,

Your car was on the very first software version BMW ever released. This version is full of bugs and should be updated.

I have included a file with built in software upgrade to a newer and much better version. Try it and if it loads fine you are all set. If not you will have to run the automatic recovery mode to restore the ECU back to stock and take it to BMW for an update.

Normally updates through the DirectFlash units work fine, but one some older versions of software like yours there may be problems preventing it from successfully loading.

Remember to use a good capacity battery charger during the programming."

My question is, I know I'm safe either way, but wanted to get someones experience if you think I should just try and load the new tune or try to find time to take it to the dealer to update the ECU prior to loading the tune. I don't have much time to go to the dealer and update the computer, that's why I ask.

If any of you have experience with the programmer just working with the old software, I'll just go for it.

If you have heard of it not working, I'll have to wait 2 weeks to go to the dealership to update my ECU.

Any knowledge is helpful!

Justin

RPI GT-M - ESS TUNE
Appreciate 0