04-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #43
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Disagree on the mileage comment. The Corvette gets better mileage because it's much lighter and more aerodynamic probably. The Camaro, not so much.

How so, exactly? what pioneering tour de force do these engines accomplish?

They are just now introducing technologies in the new Vette engines which have been employed elsewhere, or even inside GM, for decades. The truth is that they are engineered to a specific price point, so GM can make money when they install it in a $40,000 car. They aren't engineered to be the best, so while nobody should disparage them or deny that the end result is a good engine, I think it's fair that we shouldn't really either stand in awe at the magic involved. Because there isn't any.
The lack of technology is what is impressive about the LS7 it does well without all of the high technology that many engines use today. Another thing about it is the fact that for only a few thousand dollars an extra 100+ HP is easily attainable.

Don't get me wrong, I love the S65 and all of the technology it has and I love the 8400RPM redline, however to say the LS7 is not impressive is not sensible at all. With regards to the fuel economy, the LS7 is more efficient on fuel because it has more torque due to it's higher displacement and is able to pull an extremely tall 6th gear that allows the engine to lug along at about 1500 RPM at 60 MPH. No doubt, aerodynamics and weight make a bit of difference, but realize that GM is almost able to get the mileage of our M3's out of half ton pickups with LS V8's (AKA Vortec in P/U's).

Also have it be known that I hate current day GM vehicles! but...... When it comes to facts I will call a spade a spade, and the LS7 or all of the LS V8 engine family is extremely impressive due to the performance that GM is able to pull out of an old tech cam in block OHV engine design.