View Single Post
      07-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #38
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Cutting pads such as green and orange are to eliminate inperfections. Combing such with a cutting agent (v34,36) will eliminate most visible marks, but in order to achieve desired cut the pad is formed harsh enough to remove a thin layer of clearcoat eliminating those nasty Scrathes but leaving light swirls and holograms on your finish. This is where the polishing pads come in. White. Blue. Black. Using those pads that corrected (cut) clearcoat is ready for a polish to bring the shine back to the paint and remove very minor swirls that you are noticing.
When working inside please prepare a led light to help you spot such areas.
In your case I would just polish each section without cutting and that should fix your problem. After that jetseal/opticoat and your set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
Which pad did you use with this as a one step?

I just detailed my AW M3 this last week...

1) Washed and clayed in one step using Chemical Guys Rinsless Eco Wash, 2 bucket method, and CG's synthetic clay mitt... Got the paint super smooth for the next steps
2) washed the wheels using Meguiars wheel cleaner, rinsed with a bottle pump sprayer, then finished with CG's waterless ecosmart
3) used a combination of CG's V32/V34/36 (from a small sampler pack) on some panels that had deep noticeable scratches from far away using Yellow and Orange Hex Logic Pads on a Portal Cable DA... Completely eliminated them

Now here is the step where I think I went wrong because I was trying to take a short cut

4) decided to use my CG Deep Reflections XP as a one step to correct the rest of the car using a hexlogic green pad... Worked real good and seemed to get rid of the remainder of swirls and from most angles and lights it looks like the picture above... But i dunno if I am picky, but under certain lights and up close I am noticing tiny buffer swirls...
5) topped with M-Seal which was easy on and easy off

After talking with CG... Seems that the tiny buffer swirls is likely because I used a green cutting pad on a polish when I should have used a white or blue pad.

So to correct this... Should I go over the whole car again with V36 and either orange or white pad then top with M-Seal? Or can I get away with deep reflections and a white pad instead?

Going to also detail my wife's VW CC using the same process... But when it comes to the polishing step... Wonder if I should just use V36 with orange or white then finish with M-Seal? Or use Deep Reflections and a white pad?

Also to add... My buddy keeps telling me to just do V36 to V38 to a glaze then seal... I dont have time for all those steps... So I am hoping just going V36 or deep reflections to a sealant will be good
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0