View Single Post
      01-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #49
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
No, I have not. I am quite sensitive to the cause as a bully breed owner myself.
I have. Therefore I have worked with the animals in a shelter environment from all stages (when they get dropped off and undergo behavioral testing to adoption). While I agree many of these breeds are available for adoption (80% in mixed form) there is a certain "wild card element" as I called it. Most of the dogs in shelters pasts are fuzzy. We tested for temperament with people, children, and other dogs. Many of the pits had issues with other dogs. It is very rare you see a nice middle class family drop off a pit bull because they can no longer care for it. It is more often the abused and neglected we get in. The tests are run and ones that do not 'score high enough' are put to sleep ( and yes, this is why I quit working at a "no kill" shelter. There is no such thing.) The others are put into limited adoption. Many of which can only go to those with families and dog owning experience. Here is the problem. You adopt your pit, take him home, and one day an event triggers a mindset from it's past and it goes apeshit. We have seen this happen, where one who I remember as such a sweet dog one day triggered and killed the owners Pug. You can never be 100% sure of what you are getting with adoption. Also training is much more difficult, specifically off leash obedience. A dog that you have raised from a puppy if properly trained is less likely to run off when off leash than an adopted dog. While there are the people adopting a pit is perfect for (we would get a lot of single mid 20's-30's middle-upper class women who worked and lived downtown and wanted them for protection/peace of mind) some people, such as those with children or other pets are better off starting with a puppy, which are not easy to adopt. And frankly it is so difficult to adopt a dog these days that it is easier to go to a breeder. I had worked at my shelter (remaining nameless) for 6 months and was on a first name basis with everyone and was refused application for adoption. I was a 19 year old college student, who had a job, my own place with a fenced in yard, and not only worked with but had grown up with pets. I was denied. Ultimately I had to go to a breeder. Things in the dog world are not always as clear cut and idealistically perfect as many think.
Appreciate 0