Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_tyrant View Post
How did you reset your computer?
Easy man. Here you go:
-Start car
-Set dash computer to 'oil level', obviously with the turn-signal stalk side button.
-Press tripmeter reset button (on the dash) and keep it pressed until you get the service symbol with the letters 'RESET'.
-With the stalk 'wheel', turn it to scroll thru all the resettable services. You need to know the symbols, since no letters appear. Make sure you're resetting the right one .
-When you find the right one, press the stalk side button until 'RESET' is highlighted, which takes a couple of seconds. Momentarily hit the button again to reset; it takes a few seconds to complete. When completed, it goes back to the main reset menu.
-Keep scrolling for the next service you want to reset. After you're finished resetting, you have to shut the engine off to get out of that mode. That's it. Hope this helps .

By the way, I messed with the 'inspection' service since I don't want that thing reminding me, and once you hit the 'reset' button the last time, instead of going back to the reset menu, you get the current month highlighted: change it with the wheel and then press the side button. Then it jumps to the year: change with wheel again, press the side button and you're done. I set it somewhere in 2012. Didn't see any 'disabling' option, so guess cars sold in states not requiring safety inspections can be either disabled by dealer or set to 10 years from now < ha ha>. Rather change it manually myself than getting your DME reprogrammed, me thinks. Take care.
Appreciate 0