View Single Post
      08-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #58
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
Just so you know the manufacturer break in proceedure is primarily designed to keep you from messing up your car. It's one of the worst break in proceedures you can do, and by the first few dozen miles the engine is utterly broken in for all intents and purposes.

I've worked in and around high end open wheel racing and the engineers on racing teams unanimously laugh at the manufacturer suggdested ultra long break in proceedures for cars. I've seen both engineers from the top schools with the latest knowlege and guys with 40 years of experience with engines laughing at manufacturer break in proceedures.

Basically the main purpose of keeping the engine at low RPM for 1200 miles is because the oil is filled with solids from the first few miles of break in. Following the manufacturer proceedure will protect the engine if you don't change the oil repeatedly within the first few miles which is something that nobody does and therefore the manufacturer proceedure is born. The manufacturer break in proceedure, while being safe and not as technical as a proper break in, both takes a long time and significantly reduces power output.

If you want to know how to properly break in your car and enjoy the engine sooner, read this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I used the mototune break in procedure for the built S52 in my turbo E36M3. That engine runs great over two years later and now makes over 500 rwhp and over 500 lbs rwtq.

I bought my E90M3 used so I don't know how it was broken in, but I do have a CPO warranty through 6 years or 100k miles. I wonder whether the ECU stores enough data for the dealer to determine whether the engine was broken in according to the owner's manual and potentially use to deny warranty coverage if a problem arose.
Appreciate 0