View Single Post
      07-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #36
evosport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Nice numbers Brad We have installed a few sets of the Evosport E60 M5 pulley kits and our customers have been very pleased with the performance. In fact we need a set for our E92 M3 project car
Thanks for the support! I sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
thanks for the answer Brad. I was thinking of pm'ing you or Simon on MBW to chime in here... guess I didn't have to!

when I get mine, it's going straight down to you guys.
Thanks again for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Brad,

Thanks for posting and representing your company on the forum. My questions below:

1. Why is there "lost efficiency" on an M car to begin with? Why would M engineers ship a car with a 21 hp deficit that they could have recovered?

We know M engineers are doing whatever it takes to extract every single hp out of the engine, especially given the competition the M3 is facing these days. What is it they are not willing to trade-off that you are willing to trade-off exactly? There is no silver bullet here.

2. Out of curiosity, do you know when the water pump on the M3 cavitates? If you do, how do you know exactly? What tests have you run?

3. What is the extent of testing you have done on this product in terms of durability? How many miles on an engine and under what loading conditions?

Thanks again.
Thank you for the opportunity!

I will attempt to answer your questions the best I can. Realize, I am not an engineer so I might not answer technically 100%, but I attempt to take what my engineers explain and translate it into something most can understand.

1. This is a fallacy that BMW engineers are maximizing performance on every level. You must realize that these car companies, and especially BMW being the most profitable around, make decisions all the time that are not based on performance. Often, they will make choices on cost, value, longevity, time-frame, etc. I cannot speak as to why BMW does or does not do what they do.

What I do KNOW is that the accessories are designed to spin and make maximum performance at lower RPM. For example, there may be a factory parameter that the car must idle for 120 minutes without water temps overheating? Or for the alternator to charge at idle? I dunno, but it is not that far fetched to guess. I will tell you that with accessory pulleys you cannot charge the battery at idle to 14v and you will overheat if you let it sit at idle for 2 hours.

This simply moves the effective point of the accessories to a higher RPM. So, if you are actually driving and enjoying the car, you are not trading anything (in fact you gain performance). If you are using it as a grocery getter, sitting at idle for a LONG time and never revving, then you should not mod the car anyhow! lol

2. I do not know about the pump on the new M3. I can tell you that it does on the e46. We have done extensive testing (including data logging) on street and race cars. We have also shared data with EMP Stewart Components who make the best replacement water pump for the e36 chassis BMW's.

3. We have done testing on the V8 on the street and dyno. With every load condition. In addition, we have 2+ years of testing on the M5. 6+ years on the e46 M3. 5+ years on AMG, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI View Post
Sorry for the dumb question Brad but I did not understand... is the crank pulley underdriven or is it the same size just lighter? Thank you very much in advance for the answer.
The crank pulley is smaller which in turn under-drives the accessories (the same as if the accessory pulleys were larger). It is also lighter.

Thanks
Brad