04-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
I think some people are mis-reading the graphs. Also anyone else notice the wrong labeling does not help the torque curves. First the m3 is the one with the long flat torque curve and completely linear power curve. The 1m has a higher peak torque but is not flat and lasts not nearly as long.

That is why the m3 is decievingly fast. It sure as heck does not "feel" fast to most that drive it, especially coming from an FI car or monster v8, however if you have a chance to do a long redline run and watch your tach to see for example in 2nd or 3rd gear (1sts happens too quickly), you are pulling what seems like forever in the top of the rev band to redline. Compare that to large majority of other cars or an n54 engined car, you will have a very short couple thousands revs near the top to pull in each gear and you do not want to be at the top in those cars as the power drops signifigantly up around redline. Hence you make more torque but for a much shorter time.

I relate it to a runner.

Would you rather sprint for half the race then be drop dead tired for the other half.

Or would you rather have a fast pace for the whole race, which nets you a quicker finish.

Turbos kick you in the butt and have more oomph but its short lived. M3 has less oomph but is long lived and this is what horsepower does a good job at measuring. It accounts for the revs in addition to raw enginen torque to paint the entire picture which is why despite what many say, horsepower is the best measure for any type of race.

First graph is all M3, second graph is all 1M...at least that is how it looks too me.

Now that I keep looking at it, maybe I AM the one reading it wrong...I need another beer..maybe that will clear things up.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0