View Single Post
      06-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
Its not all thats cracked up to be...I have driven diesel bmw´s since the very first "good one" the E46 320d. Beeing from portugal where petrol is way way more expensive, it does pay off, but only if you drive a certain number of miles. Let me explain. Most car magazines in Portugal always test, for instance, the 320d against the 320i cause the diesel is usually more expensive than the equivalent petrol model but because diesel fuel is cheaper and the cars drink less, it really only pays off after 40 or 50000 km. If you are leasing and only do say 20000km per year maybe it wont pay off.
On another level, sure the torque grunt makes it feel powerfull, but there is nothing swetter than a high revving bmw straight six, changing gears is part of the bmw experience. Plus the sound...the sound. no matter how good they are after 20 or 30000 miles that clatter sound just does it for me...mind you a drive one of the latest generation diesels, on a 7 (very well insulated) but there is still something not quite right
Bottom line, if you drive a lot, a diesel will make sence if not i woudnt trade it.
It might be different for us market though

If your lucky enough just have them both
I don't care about the payoff, I don't like going to the gas station every week, twice a week. and diesel is just cool imho