View Single Post
      08-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #101
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

bush-art? You paint neked ladies? LOL.

Anyway, yeah, that is some crazy rumor indeed. I do have my doubts, especially with regard to the this alternate ECU program being opened by a key rather than activated by a button or menu-driven interface. I also doubt that it would be tied at all to the red color on the car. It all sounds rather far fetched.

I am also very skeptical about the Grand Am 302R running as high as 8500RPM. AFAIK, the cars run restrictor plates and the power is far from RPM limited. Pushing it to 8500 RPM would not seem to make any sense.

All that being said, I strongly hope that there is more RPM to be had in the production engine, and that Ford builds a car with the ability to reach it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
So some insiders have hinted that the [what some seem to think is ugly] red color offset on the LS models has more meaning than has been led on. This is highly subjective, but rumor has it that Ford will be offering a 'red' key with the Laguna model which will be encoded with a different ECU map, pushing the redline of the engine well past 8,000 RPM (I think the GA 302R redlines at 8,500 RPM). As the engine in the street Boss' is essentially the same as the GA cars, and some of the press releases that accompanied the Boss and Boss LS read 'redline at or above 7,500 RPM', which is pretty ambiguous language, I think there are more surprises to come for this Boss.

All I can say is
Appreciate 0