03-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #19
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Yea, that's what I meant by Sammy not understanding why his car didn't shutdown a few weeks ago.

5psi of boost is not a big deal in regards to generating heat this time of year.

Drew, the ESS Stg. I supercharger kit runs 4.5 psi WITHOUT any intercooling whatsoever. (standard production kit)

The cooling system on the E9x M3 is a lot better than the system we had on the E46 M3. It was a neccessity to make a lot of upgrades to the E46 M3 to keep the engine cool.

As long as your IAT's are lower than 120-130 degrees, there is no reason to worry. With the ambient air temps that Sammy was running in socal a few weeks back, it doesn't matter if the cooler was functioning properly or not.

If the car would have heated up to anything close to the dangerous level, the ECU would have pulled some timing to protect itself.

When it's 50-65 degrees outside, your IAT's are not going to be a problem when you are only running low boost. (as opposed to the IAT's when it's 100-110 degrees in the summer)

Sammy's car wasn't going to overheat regardless given the atmospheric conditions.
I think ESS posted up somewhere there Stage I non-intercooled system runs like 195 F IATs (cannot recall the ambient temperature).

I melted pistons on the track with no recorded knock running IATs of around 160F, running 11:1 AFRs. The reason was my EGTs were running at 950C for about two minutes before the pistons melted. This was a Subaru STI with silicon cast pistons running about 15PSI boost at high RPMs (with a not very good V-Mount Intercooler setup). Timing was being pulled back significantly because of the high IATs, but the EGTs still were just too high (note oil temperatures never went higher than 120C)

Granted different cars and engines, but hope this serves as a word of warning for anybody thinking non-intercooled setups (whether intentional or not in this case) are going to be reliable on the track.
Appreciate 0