05-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I agree with the bulk of your post. 2 parts I'd like to raise issue with, however:

1.) I think the 1//M is a closer competitor to the Cayman R than you and others acknowledge. In the United States in particular, the price difference is ~$15,000 more (approximately the same price as an E92 M3) for the Cayman R. Also, the 1//M is arguably set up the best for the track out of all the //M cars - it's relatively light on frills, bells and whistles in comparison to the M3 and the old M5. 15 grand is not a small pocket of change, but it certainly places the car in the mind of a car shopper, particularly when both cars have a similar purpose (and similar power output, for that matter!)
Yeah I agree that the 1M is the most focused M car (excluding the GTS) since probably the E30 which is probably why they keep referring to it all the time. I think I even said earlier on that it's probably quite close to the Cayman R on thrills but I completely agree with Steve that it's that final degree of precision is where they really differ and if you can afford it then it's the Cayman R or even S that you'll go for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
2.) Despite the video, I think the 1//M would be far easier to drive than the Cayman R. I don't have a great deal of experience at the wheel of a mid or rear-engined vehicle, but I'd imagine that a front-engined, rear wheel drive car is far easier to maintain close to the limit than the former two options. Just seeing all the Youtube videos of porsches encountering lift-off oversteer is enough to convince me of this!
Don't mistake the older 911 behaviour as a universal thing for all Porsches especially the Cayman/Boxster, track either of them and you'll realise that they are very hard to ruffle. I've yet to drive the 1M but listening to all those journalists saying the same thing makes me think that it's not that forgiving when the DSC is off, of course you could always leave it on but then you won't get to experience the difference between a 135i and the 1M which is hardly the point.

Not knocking the 1M because I really love the look of this thing, I am finding it to be far more desirable than the M3 I use to own and can bet you that if this had been around at the time then I doubt I would have bought the big brother. But after having an M car I having final got owning one out of my system I doubt I'll be back any time soon.

That is unless they final offer awd as an option, only then will I have another look.
Appreciate 0