04-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi View Post
One of the most common problems in the e39 5-series is the plastic end-tanks of the radiator cracking. On my 2001 540 the radiator was replaced after about 50k miles.

My 540 suffered from the two most common e39 5-series problems, cracked radiator end tank and bad fan speed resistor.

Why are you asking this question on this board, there are a number of e39 boards that would be far more helpful.
Because I like this board, and it's the only BMW forum I feel like being a member of..

Anyways, on the way to the dealership it got into the red again, so I pulled over and popped the hood. The engine didn't feel overheated at all so we figured it had to be a bad sensor or something.. I then started the car up and the temp gauge dropped back down to normal in about 2-3 seconds. We repeated this process about 3 times on the way to the dealership, and we then knew the car wasn't overheating and it had to be a sensor.. Thank god.

They replaced the sensor and didn't find any leaks dealing with the radiator fluid, so all should be well now.

-Nathan