View Single Post
      10-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
In my opinion the Great Ocean Road is a waste of time in terms of driving but a great sightseeing route. The high police presence, many tourists and frequent turnoffs and sightseeing points enroute make it unsafe and often a pain.

Mt Dandenong I consider unsafe for "driving" as well, many people live beside that that road, it is full of driveways.

I think you found the best road I can think of near Melbourne G.R, either clockwise or anticlockwise Healesville - Black Spur - Marysville - Reefton Spur - Warburton is a winner, with a turnoff at Lake Mountain for a run up and down during the non-winter months.

The highlight of the above roads would be Lake Mountain (but beware of the newer tarmac for the last 5 minutes on hot days) and Reefton Spur, where you will often have half an hour to yourself, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear with not a car in sight.

The Black Spur was great with the 100 speed limit but with the 80 limit that has been there for probably a couple of years now, coupled with the high police presence, I find myself more worried about the speedo than enjoying the road...Those first few turns after Healesville though are probably the greatest bends in existence and in a well balanced car like the M3 will bring a smile to anyone's face!
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.

Last edited by OzStriker; 10-12-2010 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0