View Single Post
      07-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
I use to be an audiophile some years back, but seem to have gotten away from car audio as I have grown older and family flourished. I still have two PPI amps (PCX 4125 and PCX 2200) that are in great shape. I’d love to get some Focal components and two 10” or 12” subs. I haven’t done any research, but when I was into car audio I really liked Focal, Image Dynamics, CTX for components and JL, Focal, Planet Audio for subs, and I loved Alpine head units/ EQ’s. With my M I’m a little confused, can I take the signal from the idrive and connect to aftermarket or do I have to do away with the idrive as far as stereo/radio?
If you have idrive then forget about an aftermarket head unit. It's just not worth the effort. Pull the signal from the OEM HU into an aftermarket amp (if it cannot accept balanced line inputs you'll need something in between the can accept it and then pass the signal on to your amp as unbalanced) and then to your speakers.