View Single Post
      09-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
yinlee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

M3 Damaged & Questions

My beautiful 2011 M3 baby was damaged last week. While merging from one highway to another, I ran over a rock. It was unavoidable as there were cars in front and behind me. A couple cars in front of me ran over it and was damaged as well. The rock completely ripped out the under carriage protection and oil pan. I was able to pull over in a parking lot about half a mile later but the damaged was done as there were significant oil coming from under the car. I called BMW Assist and they sent a tow truck to pick it up. I rode with the tow truck to the dealership and called my insurance and made a claim. I recieved a call from the dealership indicating that I needed a new engine and complete exhaust system. They had estimated total cost of about $42K to fix the car ($38.5K for a new engine with the rest being exhaust system, tax and supplies). My insurance went out an inspected the car earlier this week.

I talked to the insurance inspector today and they are going to fix the car assuming there is no other damage. He is going to ask the dealership to pull the engine and inspect the other components to make sure there's no damage.

I would like to get some thoughts on the following:
1. What else should the dealer be looking at? I thought about the transmission and suspension? I ran over the rock right in the middle of the car and didn't feel it hit the tires or suspension. I can't see any damage to the front bumpers.
2. This is a leased vehicle and so would there be any issues that I should expect when returning the car? Could BMW Financial Services reduce the residual and order me to pay the difference upon returning the car? The insurance inspector indicated all parts will be new OEM parts so I shouldn't have to worry about that but would like to get some thoughts.
3. At what value would they consider the damage to be too much and thus totaled the car?
3. Anything else that I should be concern about?

If they do decide to fix it, the dealership indicated at first inspection that it will take about 3 weeks to get the engine from Germany and so I'm looking at end of October to early November in getting the car back.

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Appreciate 0