05-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #29
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Remember, creating power from a NA engine isn't just about the amount of cylinders. Other factors include:

- How much air can be delivered to the engine (variable-geometry intakes)
- Displacement (stroke and circular bore)
- Rev limit
- Materials used on internals (how much heat the engine components can take)
- How much heat the car can dissipate
- ECU/Fuel mapping

I'm sure I'm missing a few other other elements. The main point being, this all effects how efficient a car is at turning fuel into power. The GT3 platform is based on Porsche's Cup Car so one would expect the car's engine to be tuned for those purposes, racing. Keep in mind that Formula 1 V8 2.4L engines are able to produce upward of 700+ horsepower, these engines were created for those purposes.

Your typical commuter car has much less aggressively built engines and tuning because manufacturers take into account how reliable they want their commuter cars to be. No one buying a GS430 Lexus expects to rebuild their engine at some point during ownership. So a V8 Lexus Engine that "only" produces 300hp cannot really be compared to a V8 Engine thrown into a Formula 1 car because they were built for different purposes in mind.
I assume the GT3 engine is pretty reliable even with those figures. Porsche engineers must of worked their ass off then to get those figures. Thank you for the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Porsche simply just has geniuses working in their motorsport department. They simply do more with less. And let me tell you this...they are also making more hp than Porsche quotes. The 997.2 GT3 is making 450+ and the 997.2 GT3RS is making 475+ based on dynos.
Also, check out the sharkwerks 3.9 liter GT3. It makes over 500 hp and revs to 8800 rpms.
Porsche will likely in the next GT3/RS be pushing 500 hp in NA form.
Wow.. didn't know they dyno for more. Saw a GT3RS in person for the first time yesterday in the dealership, beautiful works of art.
Appreciate 0