06-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjord View Post
So having followed all the recent threads on this subject and spoken to one or two vendors I am no nearer to making a decsion. All of my observations are subjective; I have not actually seen any of these in the flesh:

Thunders
Pros: Cheap
Cons: Not very visible in daylight

HIDs
Pros: Very bright. I like the colours. No major issues (faults etc).
Cons: They are not plug and play (check out the installation videos). Less even light distribution (as opposed to LEDs).

iBright
Pros: Genuine plug and play install. Good light distribution. Not many issues (some overheating in hotter climates)
Cons: (Apparently) the Lux are brighter and more daytime visible

Lux
Pros: Seem to be the brightest LED. Lots of people love them.
Cons: Heat problem led to recall. New version has some components outside of the light housing so not as neat at iBrights. No evidence yet that the revised version fixes the issue; Is it any cooler outside of the light housing (like between a 4 litre V8 and its radiator?)

OSSPros: Proper solution
Cons: Not everyone would consider the investment gives enough return to justify it. Not easy for those of us in Europe.

So here I am with nothing ordered yet.
I don't think the reason for placing the components outside the housing is for temperature, I think it's to avoid damage to the actual headlight components inside the housing.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0