View Single Post
      05-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #19
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Gents,

I have not really been reading too much in the M3post since the action over on e90post is out of control.

Here is the skinny on modded 335s....the tuning world as we know it today is coming to an end. BMW is cracking down on the piggyback and flashes.

Starting in March 2008, BMW introduced a new DME called the MSD81 which Dinan cannot flash yet - they haven't cracked the encryption. Also it is rumored that the MSD81 also has tuning detection capabilities. Where if BMW sees a tune, they will void the powertrain warranty.

It is unknowned whether Progman / CIP 29.2 (which can be programmed into the new MSD81 or the older MSD80) also has tune detection capabilities.

Several tuned 335 owners have had their warranties voided already.

There is hope for a generation 2 type of tune. From Jim Conforti, he has a product called the Shark Injector which can flash a DME through OBD2. He has access to the 335's older MSD80 but has not yet worked on the MSD81. His device coupled with his software Shark Edit will allow third parties to tune the 335i with a claimed invisibility. THis won't come out til July 08.

BTW, the Shark Injector will work with the M3's MSS60 DME too (along with the M5 / M6's MSS65)..... You will be able to play around with settings like rev limiters, speed limiters, I imagine......

Forget chipping the M3 for more power....BMW ///M did just fine.