swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Sure the time is a mystery. I just don't believe that there is a mystery to a sub 8:00 min time (hence, my post), because I don't believe it will happen. You probably will disagree with this, but, nonetheless it's my opinion. And, no I am not going to explain in detail as to why; I think anyone here with a knowledge of these cars can understand why I might think what I do. They may not agree with it, but one should certainly understand why.

So, don't worry, the sky is not going to fall because I might have a little doubt that the almighty M3 is not as capable a track car/sports car that some here might think. Right or wrong, it's what I think. It's still a fantastic sports coupe.
I just do not see how you can be so sure. I cetainly am not sure either way but I am open to the possbility and am willing to look at all of the relevant data. It seems clear to me your "pride" and love of P-cars leads you to some undeniable bias here. Let's look at the facts:
  • A BMW engineer reportedly claimed the car will best the 911 S at the ring
  • 911 S Sportauto time is 8:02
  • BMW has a better power to weight ratio than the 911 S and has been found to out brake the Cayman S and base 911. Agreed in lower speed braking but this is a clear accomplishment given the much greater weight of the M3
  • Audi R8 SA time is 8:04
  • The M3 substantially trumps the R8 in power to weight when you consider power to the wheels
  • Testers have found despite the good AWD system in the RS4 they can corner and exit harder with in the M3 (R8 AWD = RS4 AWD, correct?)
  • BMW has been shown in multiple tests to out sprint the R8

Last but not least we also know that the European verison of the car when ordered with 19" wheels will come STOCK with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup+ tires (appropriate emphasis on the "+").

I am ready to go out on a limb here. Sportauto will achieve a sub 8 minute N-ring time with the M-DCT car with the aforementioned tires.

I am not ready to go out that far on a limb in terms of the MT non Cup+ tired car. But if it doesn't it is going to be dangerously close.

Is your opinion simply a hunch or can you better support your opinion with facts?

P.S. I'd be happy to place a large wager on the point in bold, ready to put your money where your mouth is?
Appreciate 0