View Single Post
      07-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #125
TiptronicSoldier
Rep
Drives: Full Bolt-On M6, XC90

I live in Dallas as well. Here if you have an accident and there are no injuries, the police will not show up to the scene.

I've been hit 3 times in the past 2 years in Dallas and the police have not showed up. I've always exchanged all information (Driver's License info, insurance info, license plate info) and taken photos of all of it with my cell phone. I immediately check to see if everyone is ok, get everyone to a safe area, then discuss what happened. After that I call their insurance if the other party is at fault.

Most times you will not have a witness so you need to be clear on your statement and describe everything that you can remember. This will cover your butt.

I have had friends get incorrect information and end up having to pay their own repair costs and once when I got rearended the other party's insurance spent way too long to get back to me because the other driver at fault would not answer phone calls. They immediately fixed it when I mentioned a lawyer.

If a person does not have insurance or a license, good samaritan or not, I believe one should still contact authority to cover your butt. Either way you will probably be responsible for repairs if they have no money but you do not want any questions unanswered and anything left to screw you over. If you can afford a car you can definitely afford to ride the public transit system, I see citizens using it all the time, and when i use the DART rail, I never see anyone asking me for a boarding pass.

Today I gave a person asking for money on the side of I35 a liter of water I had bought and at lunch another person came asking me for money to feed his wife and 2 kids when I left a restaurant in uptown with a client. I told him I could not give him money but I took time out of my day and gave him a ride in my SUV to Albertson's(grocery store) and bought 4 complete meal packs with drinks for him and his "family" then drew him a map on where to go to find work nearby at $10 an hour.

I am very giving but some people can be deceitful so I will not give money and in instances where an car accident happens I will do what is ultimately the right thing for society as a whole and report it to the police.
Appreciate 0