Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Specifics.

Unless you are specific in how the laws are "unrealistic", I don't know what you mean.

"Ineffective"?
Again, specific.
The only ineffectiveness I can see right now is that illegal immigrants are still getting into the country.
That would not make the law ineffective, it makes the enforcement of it ineffective.
But, does that excuse the illegal from being deemed to have broken the law?
They are called "illegal" immigrants for a reason.
"Undocumented" worker is a political term as it doesn't speak to legal status.
Unrealistic is further expounded upon in the excerpts from the papers I posted. What is unrealistic is the rigidity of the hard cap on Visa's currently available. No matter what the domestic labor market is calling for, the number of Visa's available does not change from 65,000, whether the labor market is calling for 10,000 or 10,000,000 workers (in the case we're discussing here, more than likely unskilled in positions that command minimum wage or lower).

I have never heard of mandating a hard cap as the most practical, effective, and efficient way of regulating any market. It's archaic, unresponsive, and undesirable. The most classic failures of capping supply can be found in prohibition (setting the cap at 0). All this does is move activity to grey and black markets, which is where the complaints of illegal immigration originate. If there were a realistic, responsive method for admitting immigrants into this country, these negative side effects would diminish. In the current system, demand exceeds supply. Anyone worth two shits knows that to move towards an efficient outcome, supply needs to expand and/or price needs to increase.

If you haven't read what what I posted beyond what you've been quoting I implore you too. I will be more than happy to email you the full length originals as well. I am 100% with you that it is a crime. I am a proponent of enforcing immigration laws from the demand side (from the producer's viewpoint, which is conversely the supply side from the immigrant's). Yes, the law is being broken. I'm not arguing that one bit. I'm arguing the law is broken, and that overall immigration is a good thing, both legal and illegal. Obviously minimizing illegal immigration is ideal, but given the current structure, it's unrealistic.
Appreciate 0