View Single Post
      07-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #116
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM;9966184
I lived in Tucson for almost 5 years. There was and still is a ton of crime and gang activity. How do you know it's being committed by illegal immigrants? Can you tell me the percentage of violent crime committed by legal vs. illegal citizens? Probability says that some of it is, but those also say that it's not nearly the majority. Additionally, incentives would put illegal immigrants as [i
less[/i] likely to commit violent crime, as participating in such activities only increases the chances they get deported.
What's the percentage then?

Even if it's only 10%, it's 10% less if they weren't here in the first place.
Having a disincentive, like jail time for citizens, or deportation for illegals, doesn't seem to stop the activity for either side.
But, we still want illegal gang activity to be punished whether it's committed by an illegal or citizen.
You're assuming that participation in violent crime will decrease due to the chances of deportation. However, those who choose to engage in violent crime are not concerned with the law.

It actually doesn't matter what the percentage is as that leads us away from the issue of illegal immigration.
Coming into this country without proper legal authorization means you have committed a crime, the penalty is deportation.

Arguments for how illegal immigrants contribute to the GDP are political in nature, as they are an attempt to legitimize the unlawful act of coming into the country illegally.
Yes, many US citizens have an issue with that and rightfully so.

The contribution to GDP is a positive in the debate to change immigration policy. I agree with that.
However as I said, until that is done illegals are here illegally and there is a penalty for it.
Appreciate 0