02-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Its a 30 second job, doesn't get much any easier. Just realize that the second you alter a fixure or extension cord, the UL approval goes out the window. That doesn't necessecarily make it unsafe if done right though.

Figure out if the fixtures are 2-wire or 3-wire, and buy your extension cord accordingly, strip it, wire nuts, tape, done. Just make sure you cover the stipped portion of the wire completely with the nut, and then tape the connection completely.
Thanks for your help, Smohr33... very helpful. And i read about the 2 or 3-wire fixture... apparently, one of them is a ground, and I need to make sure i get the appropriate extension cord.

Just out of curiosity, since the extension cord isn't going to be color coded, does it matter which wire I connect? Any advice on this would be very helpful.

Lastly, is there a way to add a "switch" assembly to the unit? Is this even safe to do so? if not, I'll get one of those surge protectors with a on/off switch so i don't have to keep plugging it in and out...

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0