03-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #219
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Uh, this idiot?

I'm not completely sure of it, but it appears that footie is playing at a much higher level than you are in this discussion.

Anybody shifts in a corner if that's where the car dictates a shift. It's awfully damned simple. As a for instance, in the Carousel at Mont Tremblant, many, many cars have to pick between second and third gear going in. Those that need second are going to have to shift somewhere in the corner, and no matter. You've just got to manage the shift so as not to end up playing the clown.
You are both right, but Bruce more so. You shift when you have to (and can). There are some turns where the car makes it impossible.

For example T14 at thunderhill. I would really, really like to go down to 2nd on entry. However, if I do this it means shifting back 2->3 on the way out. That requires lifting to shift which would mean the elise spins right off the track. In that case its faster to drive around at the limit in 3rd rather than far enough from the limit in 2nd to allow the shift.

On the other hand in the M3 at GIR I would shift 3->4 in the bowl with no problems. Depends on the turn and car.

By not unloading the rear tires DCT should allow you to shift in places you couldn't with the manual.