03-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe white, DCT, ZPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
I once had oil spill all over just from a crease in the built-in gasket. It was a mess!

You're likely fine. You didn't get an "add oil" warning, did you?

Take it back to the dealer. If they're decent like my dealer was, they'll take you in right away, replace the cap and steam clean the engine for you.

While it's a bit of a concern that the dealership missed this, it can happen. The oil cap is a notoriously bad design. Not very error-tolerant.
I hope! I did not get the "add oil" warning luckily. I was driving back and when I noticed that "steam" or "smoke" I was like woa wtf. The temp was not above normal so I checked the levels, about 1/6 consumed so I figured they did not top off or what not. But ya boy was I sad when i looked at the hood, i will try and upload photos but it was a mess....apparently when the garage attendants moved the car to its spot there was a lot of oil on the floor...judging by the stains i saw about 2-3 ft by 2-3 ft in area. The cap is crap man. Judging from experience this sort of thing should not be terrible. I did not wipe any of the oil as I figured the dealer/service techs need to see the extent of the leak etc. Anyhow thanks I shall keep ya posted via here or pm, I hope this isn't too serious
Appreciate 0