View Single Post
      08-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #94
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
CMD - first off - I am pleased you recognised the impression created by your original sig - that's the main reason why I posted my reponses.
Quote:
So what do you mean by 'close the borders' do you mean no freedom of movement into and out of America?
I mean close the borders and only allow documented, legal residents in and out.

Quote:
And as to controlling entry into the country ..... why does this not happen currently ?
The majority of our politicians in charge, all the way up to President Bush, are "for sale" and do what Big Business, for just one good example, Walmart, wants.

Quote:
I think your book swap suggestion is a fair one and I will look out for the book you referenced, but ...I think it will be difficult to find in this country and (having read the reviews) I have a sneaking feeling I may not warm to the author.
Why have you already speculated that you may not "warm to the author" >>Tom Tancredo<<?

Quote:
The Tortilla Curtain on the other hand I read for entertainment - it's effectively a satire - and it offers no answers ... but it provokes thought:

http://www.readinggroupguides.com/gu...la_curtain.asp
The Illegal Immigration problem here in America has progressed way beyond anything I woud describe as "entertainment."

Quote:
What I took from this book .... and this is the essense of my position .... is that no matter how badly you might feel the illegal immigrant situation is damaging your country .... you are much more fortunate than the illegal immigrants themselves. In short - count yourself lucky to be born into a country where you have opportunity.
So what your position is, because we are so fortunate to be Americans we should abandon our soverienty, open our borders and allow any and all to come on in? How long do you think it would take, under those circumstances, to turn the United States into a third world country?

Quote:
On a similar level - I wonder if you have read 'the grapes of wrath'?
I read it in high school.

Quote:
I'd feel pretty relaxed about a discussion regarding police methods etc to tackle illegal immigration and those who profit from it.

But I'm pretty incensed by a discussion about how awful illegal immigrants are and how they are personally to blame for the America's problems.
They are certainly not the only problem America has today. However, they are directly responsible for many problems we have. Please read the attachements below.

Quote:
I hope you see the distinction - to me it is not the immigrants themselves who are causing the problem - their actions are understandable and to an extent excuseable. The problem is caused by:
Quote:
1. The people in charge of undeveloped countries who squander their resources
I agree, Mexico is corrupt from top to bottom. But this is America's problem?

Quote:
2. The developed world which does little to really help the undeveloped world
True.

Quote:
3. Those people in countries like the USA who profit from illegal immigrants by:
Quote:
a. Taking money off them to smuggle them into the country and supply papers
Mexicans do this, rarely, if ever, do U.S. citizens traffic in Illegals.

Quote:
b. Getting them to work for pittance to avoid paying tax or proper wages
Big Business is responsible for this and I agree, this is wrong.

Quote:
4. The authorities when the fail to police the borders adequately
I agree. This lack of action is treasonous, in my opinion.

Quote:
The trouble with these issues is that they are bandwagons for racists and bigots - reference our own BNP.
Probably true to a small degree.

needforspeed,

I've attached some required reading for you, to get you up to speed. (No pun intended).

Please read and then comment, if you would.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Illegal Aliens and American Medicine.pdf (107.1 KB, 859 views)
File Type: pdf The Illegal Immigration Crime Wave.pdf (50.1 KB, 756 views)
File Type: pdf A Compendium of Illegal Immigration Data.pdf (595.6 KB, 799 views)

Last edited by CMD; 08-07-2006 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0