09-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #45
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
There is no evidence the tires are not approved for the street.

If the tires are available as an option, then the test is fair. To use a "benchmark" tire for all cars is an interesting idea, but not practical for many reasons, including continually advancing technology.

If to make it fair, the Porsche has to use the exact same tires as the M even if the tires are not available from Porsche, then what else should be the same for comparison purposes to ensure fairness? Do both cars have to use the same brake pads also? The M cannot be obtained with ceramic brakes. To be fair, should the M get Porsche's brakes while the Porsche gets the M's tires?
Maybe it is I that am confused then. Since the M is not available in the states I can't attest to what tires will be available. But, from what I know Cup tires by definition are not DOT street legal tires. So, I am unaware how these tires can be available as an option.

If you were simply applying contemporary performance tires with each respective car, I would agree with you (Use whatever current tires are available as OEM), but since these tires (Cup) are not designed for the street; and certainly won't be available in the states as an option, I don't see how you can believe what you say.

As far as mentioning the options as you did, well, then consider running a C2S equipped w/ X51, PCCB (Ceramic Brake), LSD w/ 20mm suspension (All available in street trim in Europe) AND add Cup tires to the C2S. Trust me it would spank the M; it would be unfair, but it's your idea.

That 3 year old C2S without Cup tires or the LSD option has already run a 7:59.
Appreciate 0