11-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #20
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Yup, that was my point #5.
I wasn't referring to banked turns. I was referring to differences in lean angle of the cars around whatever turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Well we are perhaps closer than total disagreement but I can't see how you can get to not even a slight disagreement. Foot seems to believe they numbers are free to adjust each independently (perhaps even under ideal conditions and based on how many drive wheels in the car).
You're both referring to the same thing, which is that a given vehicle may get through a given turn more quickly than another vehicle, while generating no more peak G, and possibly less.

You're quoting physics 101 scripture, but on the actual planet, attacking a curve in an ideal manner varies from car to car - and of course from driver to driver. The ideal line will vary, and a driver may in fact induce an "artificial" peak G via wheel or throttle action in order to get a given car to behave in a way the driver prefers, for alignment into the next turn, or whatever.

As far as I know, nobody who does skidpad tests measures average G with an accelerometer, even though that wouldn't be difficult. They do average G by measuring how long it takes to get around a circle of a given radius, and, on a racecourse, they typically only measure peak G.

As an aside, I'm guessing that measuring average G around a given turn would probably generate at least as many questions as it would answer (because of the differences involved in attacking a given curve with a given driver), so as far as I know, it's seldom done.

In any event, you two are agreeing on the primary point, mentioned in my first paragraph.

Bruce
Appreciate 0