View Single Post
      01-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #39
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I don't know where you get your information, but the basic e46 M3 is the same everywhere. The Europeans got a slightly more torquey exhaust, that many people retrofit here (me for one). The European brake rotors were slightly better than the US versions but were inferior compared to Performance Friction stock replacements. So I don't see where you are coming from with the US version being dumbed down. I believe the major shortcoming of the e46 was it's front suspension. The cars have a mid-corner push that can't be fixed without geometry changes. The e9x cars are miles ahead in that department.

Don't get me wrong. I like the e46 M3 better than the e9x series. But it's because of the total driving experience and not the performance.
Never said it is night vs. day. I thought my words were chosen carefully enough to express a marginal difference. You actually have the full Euro exhaust system ($4000)? Or did you just source a eBay header? The whole Euro system/software is worth 17 lb-ft at peak. That's nothing to snicker at. US SMG versions got a far less capable SMG software and LC. It is what it is. No one is debating the evolution of the E9X M3. I would hope it performs better considering the amount of gas it burns. It's also a decade newer in development. What's your point?

I'd still take a E30 M3 over them all. With each subsequent 3er, they get bigger and heavier and less fun to drive (although I still prefer the E46 M3 to the E36 M3). I guess you'd argue the US version E36 M3 is just as good as the Euro version too?