01-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #32
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Since the beginning, I've been saying that 1/4 mile times are much more driver dependant than a true measurement of a car's performance. Drew, you're a great example to demonstrate just how much of 1/4 mile times are skill versus horsepower. You don't have the most horsepower, but you undisputedly have the fasted NA M3 that we know of. In fact, you have the quickest ET -- even including the SC cars. Those results are because of your skill, not because of your horsepower. This demonstrates exactly why 1/4 mile times are totally irrelevant to me as a car's performance metric -- because it's NOT a car's performance metric -- it's a DRIVER'S performance metric. I realize that dyno sheets are just pieces of paper to you. But when operated properly, and compared properly (DynoDB), they give very useful information -- more useful than a 1/4 mile time (IMO).

+1000
We've had it out on this, and I regret some of the things that were said in that old thread. I think you and I are past that and I respect your contributions here a great deal, you make some good points about 1/4 mile times being driver dependent, they are also dependent on traction as well as conditions much like dyno's, this is true, but with the DCT that doesn't apply as much as it would to a 6MT, the car does the work for you.

Robert, I very much appreciate the kind words about my driving skills and I wish I could take all the credit, but I'm pretty sure even my wife could take a DCT M3 down the track and get some good times, with a good launch in good conditions. I give credit to BMW for going with this incredible transmission over my driving skills, I also give credit to the additional modifications, etc., and those Nitto Drag Radials.

If The SC'd cars were running Drag Radials they would have easily eclipsed my times. I have no doubt others will hit/beat my times and once a SC'd car gets a good launch you will see some impressive runs.

Vbox times tell a lot as well, lining 'em from a roll does too, IMHO, that's how I judge, and whether we like it or not, the majority of guys who want to go faster do too. What is the main reason we mod our cars? You want to be faster than the other guy, it's really that simple and yes that shallow, lol.

You and I just happen to disagree on what's the best way to measure "performance" not necessarily all the other stuff, reliability, etc. no question Leman's billet points are important, as are other concerns people have posted here.
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0