Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
I believe it is a fair comparison
Both are sources of energy storage
Ev battery in near freezing temps are known to be poor performance
And if left alone , will discharge over time
A diesel container with proper additive will last for years
Once the power grid goes out, I can pop it into my generator and get power out of it
And this needs to be taken one step further. I have not seen any discussion on what I think is a major issue with adoption of EV. The lack of standardization of the power storage medium. With gas and diesel, it's been pretty much the same since inception. You can take an old car and run it on the same fuel as a new one. You can't say the same with EVs. What makes things worse with EVs is the same power source that is a storage of energy to power the vehicle will degrade over time. Can't really say the same for a fuel tank.

Manufacturers won't really object to the current status quo as they can just fall back to every manufacturer is doing proprietary battery systems even within their own model lines. Manufacturers will also support this current system as it's built in planned obsolescence. So it guarantees them a steady income stream as they know people will have to buy a new car at some point.

"My battery is no longer good."

"Well that'll be $16k." Or "Sorry, the manufacturer no longer makes that battery."

Until there is some mandate to force standardization of at least the battery connectors or some way of making the electrical interface modular to allow future upgrades as battery technology evolves, this whole situation is going to be a mess that will continue to get messier.
Appreciate 5
Efthreeoh17436.50
pikkagtr3922.00
wdb4756.50
Mavus2038.50