05-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccos View Post
Are there others out there who think the navigation on the M3 (actually on all BMWs) is horrible? My wife has a lexus and the navigation is so much easier to use.

The BMW navigation never labels the streets I want or need to see, nor does it allow me to move the map around easily. I basically just end up using my cell phone when i need navigation.

Is there some sort of software update to improve this???
I've ranted several times about how lousy it is.

Basically, it about as backward as SatNav was in the late 2000's. I think a bit of history is helpful, too, and anyone with better knowledge is welcome to jump in and correct me: About 2004, the "Becker" Division of Harman-Kardon began making portable SatNav units. Becker is based in southwest Germany, and continues to sell a bunch of audio and info-tainment stuff to German-based OEMS. They aren't exclusive, and the OEM's aren't exclusive in return.... meaning sometimes BMW's have Harmon-Kardon speakers or head units, sometimes not. Well, the Becker line of portable SatNav was revolutionary when it came out. The screens and the durability of the units were great; but the controls pretty counter-intuitive. Concurrently, Harman's USA- based unit "JBL" made a consumer version, which had better controls, but was not durable. They blended the two styles together, but unfortunately the worst of both was retained, and so you had a unit with controls that sucked, a battery that was lousy, and a map-display that was...clunky.

I think this became the model for BMW's SatNav. They see a cash-cow with this where they charge ridiculous price for SatNav, and didn't invest anything other than 24-month map updates.

Compare that to Navigon, another German-based organization (now owned by Garmin). Navigon created portables, but found their new profitability in consumer owned smart-phones. The Navigon SatNav on the iPhone is incredibly great. I've used the USA versions, the European versions, and the Australia versions thousands of times. And they keep getting better with new functionality, etc. "Fresh Maps" updates each 3 months, and that cost...something like a one-time USD 25 charge. Overall, all the extras and updates and original cost for Navigon North America was ~$130 when it was more expensive. Compare that to the recent $220+ MAP upgrade I paid to BMW.

Almost EVERYTHING about Navigon on the iPhone is absolutely superior to the BMW SatNav. There are so many individuals features that I don't want to bore anyone further with a gigantic list.

So, I have a windshield mount for out-of-town travel where I stick the iPhone 5; and just use the built-in BMW SatNav for in-city travel to catch the traffic Triangle of Doom. (That's another single area, for example. GPS SatNav doesn't really re-route for traffic issues; Navigon absolutely handles this better.... )

A wondrous situation would be a hack that lets the video output of the iPhone in Navigon take-over the BMW Control Display.

Okay, rant off...temporarily.

Yes, BMW SatNav was great several years ago; now it's substandard.

Update 1: The most recent software update is a map update, and it does nothing for functionality.

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!

Last edited by VMcV3y; 05-04-2013 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Updated (1)
Appreciate 0