View Single Post
      05-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #54
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I usually like what you have to contribute to the forum, but in this case I feel you are way off.

First, reference some of these mags that claim there is a 600lb difference. I haven't seen this. Besides the over 300lb weight difference is nothing to scoff at.

Second. Power to weight ratio is better in the M3 but it's also better in the M6, but you are also dealing with greater weight in both cases, which does become a factor when you decide you want to change direction.

Third. What facts do you base the center of gravity on? How dramatic a difference do you think the CF roof is going to be to the no sunroof 1M? It certainly isn't because of the height difference. 55.9 vs. 55.8

Lastly, you say it is all marketing. But who's to say that you yourself haven't fallen prey to the very same marketing lure and now you're so convinced there is nothing 'better'. I've owned a lot of M cars and have been sucked into the bigger, more powerful, more tech tidbits, more luxury blackhole that is ///M as we know it today, all the way up to the M6. The 1M is a breath of fresh air and really resonates with me and others that don't have any agreement with BMW besides writing a check at the time of purchase. The fact is the two cars performance stats are very similar, but deliver it in very different ways. Bottom line, it is really just preference. Some might prefer the bigger more powerful M6. I for the time being drawn away from my M6, believe it or not, to the 1M.
I guess I just have mixed feelings about how mags are representing the 1m; it sounds almost too good to be true honestly. I find it very hard to believe that the 1m can outperform an m3. I saw one at the DC car show a few months ago and I must admit, it was cool looking in much the same way a STI or EVO is but it definitely is no m3.

A buddy of mine has a 1m on order; he didn't have the cash for an m3 and needed something more fuel efficient that an m3 to use as a DD, so I was the first one to push him towards the 1m.

Do I like it? Yes I do. The 1m wouldn't be the only quirky looking car that I have liked; after all, I had a bug-eyed WRX at one point.

Would I buy one? Yes, I probably would if I wanted a cool car to keep my m3 company in the garage (that wasn't a Porsche).

You are right about the 1M being a breath of fresh air. Hopefully, the 1M is paving the way to lighter, more agile ///M cars.

Maybe when my buddy finally gets a 1M, we can take a trip to Summit Point and pin it [1M] against the M3 to see how it does.

-SZ

Last edited by SUB-ZERO; 05-20-2011 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0