08-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #86
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
A comment like this are similar to saying a Boxster is a poor man's 911. It only shows you up as bitter.

Maybe you need reminder of where the present BMW started.....

http://www.autocult.com.au/NewsDetail.aspx?id=1104
No I don't see it that way at all. A Boxter and a 911 are both a Porsche and share varying expressions of that DNA. Your example is perhaps not the best to have chosen...

A BMW has BMW DNA and no other.

Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda/Bentley/et al... share a parts bin

I see the comment as highlighting the purity of the DNA, the purpose and the experience, not putting relativity to it. The VW group platform-sharing model is fine if you want to drive down cost - which they need to badly. But it isn't fine if you are pursuing a goal of building something more focused as BMW does.

BMW and VW in reality target different markets. VW Group use the "sporty" tag to air-brush their brand. Before sporty it was "interior quality", and in between was "affordable luxury".

BMW live it.

If VW were as focused on performance and "sporty" driving as they say they would have immediately started a massive all-out engineering campaign to adopt rear wheel drive in their Audi brand. But they haven't they have simply added rear-wheel bias in Audi's quattro platform. The MDS platform should have been clean sheet, not a tart-up of the same platform they have been fiddling with for several generations. This betrays their true intent - they want to love themselves a bit of BMW's brand cachet. Before BMW it was Mercedes they were targeting, and hell even Mercedes is trying to have a bit of BMW halo on their C Class.

So IMHO it isn't a put-down of a bitter person, it is a plain and simple statement of fact. There's a difference.