View Single Post
      06-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

E30 3 Series vs. Honda Prelude (5th gen)

I am in search for a new DD toy, something reliable, fun and that I can tinker with while having as my daily. I have a set budget for the car it self at $6,000 and about $4,000 down the road for modifications. I have a few cars in mind but have narrowed it down to a couple special ones...

1997-2001 Honda Prelude (5th Generation)... I planned on doing bolt ons, some good rubber and nice wheels (ssr competition, kosei k1, volk le37t, advans, 5zigen fn10rc, Enkei RPF1s maybe... havent decided) and springs and koni yellow shocks or maybe a coilover set up)

Pros:

-H22 Motor is stout and the car can make good power with or without F/I. Bolt ons (Intake, header, exhaust and a tune) can get you 200-220whp.
-I think it looks fantastic
-Handles well despite being heavy for a Honda (2900lbs ish)
-Reliable

Cons:

-FWD
-FWD
-Honda scene (but who cares, I don't make ricey cars, idiots make ricey cars)
-It's front wheel drive

BUT look at this! I have always thought it was a great looking car.

Or

E30 BMW 325is or 318... Super slow but a very well balanced fun to drive car (so I hear, never driven one) but it too would receive bolt ons, nice wheels and tires and tasteful mods, no swaps or anything though so this thing would be super slow)

Pros:

-The look great
-They handle well
-Fun to drive and turn heads
-Easy to work on and not overly expensive to keep on the road
-RWD

Cons:

-They are 20+ years old and hard to find nice examples
-STUPID slow
-Tons of miles on them usually
-SLOW without significant modification (full engine swap for example = not cheap)

But look at this keep in mind though with my budget I will not be able to get one this super clean

What do you think?