03-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #286
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 540i/6, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwe46m3 View Post
Is there any particular reason people are choosing Ap racing over Brembo? i thought that Brembo makes the AP kit???
AP Racing and Brembo are completely separate business units that compete with each other in several areas and not in others. They are both owned by the Brembo Group (at least since AP was purchased in 1999) and exist in different countries with completely separate management teams. AP Racing is more geared towards racing and low-volume specialty manufacturers. Brembo also does some of this (quite famously in some arenas, I might add!) and is better suited to higher volume manufacturing.

Stillen is the supplier of the systems being referred to here and has been in the brake upgrade business for over 20 years now. They are an AP development partner and system integrator. For some systems, Stillen supplies components back to AP.

Ironically, Stillen was the one to introduce Brembo to the North American aftermarket, effectively creating the industry segment long before most people knew what a BBK was. They made the switch to AP Racing around 1996. The Stillen/AP Racing kits and the AP Racing Formula UK kits are available through at least four forum-supporting vendors.

Chris
Appreciate 0