11-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
A pressure washer will get some of the dust off, but not all. Even if you let the Sonax sit, it's going to need some agitation...

If you've never waxed/sealed your wheels, chances are there is caked on dust that will require some Sonax and agitation. Take the wheel off, use a brush or a wheel woolie mitt and get all the dirt off. Let them dry and use a wheel wax or sealant. Then, if you continue to keep the stock pads, the dirt will be much easier to get off with just regular car wash and a wheel mitt. You can also get pads that produce much less dust to prevent this from happening.

If you don't have time to do all that, the EZ detail brush with some Sonax will get rid of the dirt very nicely. Just understand that in about a week or so of daily driving, your wheels will be a mess again And at that point, you'll still need the Sonax and the EZ detail brush.

FWIW, I have yet to see a "spray on, hose off" wheel cleaner that removes all dirt with no agitation, even with a pressure washer. I've tried it before on my car. The pressure washer gets rid of a lot of the dirt, but I still need to go over it with a brush or mitt. Kinda defeats the purpose, making you do twice the work.