05-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton View Post
I have practiced heel/toe in street driving and I'm pretty comfortable with it and would like to use it at my next event (in June). Based on my late shift methodology I am a bit concerned about doing a newbie heel/toe shift, transitioning from brake to accelerator, and turn-in all at the same time. Seems like there is a lot of room for error.

Theoretically, if I rev match I should be able to do the downshift earlier in the brake zone (50-75ft), then the transition to the accelerator and turn-in would be a separate event.

I want to get confirmation that this is the correct approach. Keep in mind, I usually don't do sequential downshifts, I just jump to the gear I want to be in (example: 5-3).

Thoughts?

For reference, the track I go to has two points that I am most concerned about, both are 5-3 downshifts from 110+mph to about 50mph.
Don't do it at the same time. Be done with your braking and shifting before the turn. Also, don't leave the shifting to the end of the braking, do it before like in the middle of the braking. Just like you yourself described.

You can do trail braking after gaining some more experience.