View Single Post
      01-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #16
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I'm envious of the depth of your analysis, Brookside. If I'm correctly interpreting the essence this thread, you have provided a vivid look into the design culture that is represented by the "Next Supra" as it is distinct from European design. You have referred to some historical circumstances (Hiroshima and Nagasaki, in particular) as well as the pubescnent "fanboy" overtones that are perhaps a product of this culture's marginalization (however far short of prohibition) of indivuduality and self expression.

In my own observation, I would note that automotive design, like many other areas of industrial design, has been adopted and improved upon by Asian cultures. But their success in this respect has been more about capitalizing on an opportunity to address flaws in design, rather than design within a purely Asian aesthetic. It is as though the goal is not to design for themselves, but to redesign to re-sell. The Lexus IS relative to the BMW 3 is a good example - a desperate (although reasonably successful) quest to emulate, more reliable etc., but relatively soulless and bland.

Referring back to the case in point, the "New Supra", emphasis on cold scientific goals, such as headroom, aerodynamic efficiency and ecological friendliness is indicative. While these are essential elements for any car design, the emphasis on them is indicative of a science-inspired car, as opposed to a passion-inspired one... Also, the J-factor (inspiring local and global acceptence) denotes a distubingly weak position from which one would promote a concept such as a sports car. This is the antithesis of a bold statement and an overwhelming indication of a dilluted "please everybody" approach. Hardly inspiring.

And the design language of the J-Concept, "vibrant clarity", indicates a lack of commitment to anything in particular. What does it mean? And to what is it in contrast, such that the "New Supra" would stand out from the competition?

All that to say that I'm not sure the aesthetic represented by this design is particularly deep. Can the Japanese design beautiful cars? Absolutely. Miata, S2000, NSX, Supra, WRX, Supra are fine examples.

As a car maker Toyota has demonstrated a lack of passion. Perhaps they are too big. Their F1 team is run by a BoD and can't seem to compete with teams run by passionate sportsmen. And Toyota's North American lineup, while successful in terms of sales, is anything by inspiring.

If the above is the best that Toyota can do, I'll never own one...
Appreciate 0