View Single Post
      03-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #47
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
Hey JM1234, wouldn't the blue and red line meet where the 6MT hit 8,300 RPM (where the MT meets the CVT set point)?
Umm, well yes The 6MT plot was done using engine torque values from car dynos of a stock car (accounting for realistic powertrain losses). The CVT plots were done using published max torque/HP numbers for the engine (ignoring powertrain losses). I was trying to show how the values compared and that one was above the 6MT and the other below. Realistically, I doubt that the powertrain losses for a CVT would match those of a 6MT so the plots probably aren't supposed to touch where they do. Here's the plot you are looking for. I think your right, that doesn't simplify things. It still shows that an engine at max torque even with ideal gearing (CVT at 4000 rpm) will consistently put out less rwt than an engine with un-ideal gearing (6MT) shifted at max HP (actually shifted at redline). With the exception of the low speed torque that induces greater wheelspin but no more acceleration.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0