View Single Post
      08-06-2008, 12:47 AM   #15
paulGT3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Joe Thats all I do is weapons, Every time we fly its for a smart weapon.
Youre welcome on the GTX conversation. I am afraid Porsche is moving away from its history in favor of its bottom line and its stockholders instead of its customers.

Kevin I dont know why they are apples and oranges. If two cars are on the track at the same time and there are many M3s out when i am out I think its more than appropriate to compare brakes.

They are not carbon fiber they are ceramic composite. They are an $8K option and Dealers are coming out with replacement packages in the $5-7K range for replacements. AND if you use them correctly i.e. using Porsche Motorsport Green performance pads, then they will last ALOT longer than several sets of iron rotors again making them a comparable performance item.
They are more fragile, getting a rock in the rotor
after an off the track excursion you can damage the rotor. The New PCCBs are alot better than the ones I had on my 996 GT3. So I dont worry too much. And I had NO problem with the 996 GT3 and 20 track events.
I saw one 996 GT3 with PCCBs with a 100 track days and no issues but pad replacements.
But again, I wasnt trying to compare them i was asking what was BMWs reasoning for putting one piston calipers on their highest performing cars? I think multpiston calipers increase feel and if you look at it from
the engineering aspect (what I do for a living) more pistons across the back of the pad the more even pressure across the back of the pad during application of the hydrualic pressure. With one piston you really dont have that much control over the ends of the pad and most of the application pressure is just in the middle of the pad. From that perspective the more pistons the better.
You have to ask what are they thinking when they put Brembos on the ONE series? why on the 135i and NOT the M3? I dont understand the logic.

07 Z4M
06 4.8iS X5
07 GT silver GT3
Appreciate 0