View Single Post
      03-08-2023, 06:14 PM   #12
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Bumping this. There are other threads about the shortening of the strut mounts (for more bump travel), but this is the only one that is specifically about how to do it (DIY).

I'm on B8s and swifts, and still feel like I'm on the front bump stops too much, so I've bought a set of new mounts, and plan to shorten them 1/3" or ~8mm. I've shaved the internal bump stop of bilsteins (b6) previously, on E46 m3, but am chosing this route instead since there's a known solution (besides installing camber paltes with thinner stack heights).

My father is an actual machinist, and I assumed this would be no big deal. His concern was that the steel bearing being encapusulated in rubber will deflect. He suggested just taking a hack saw to it, even attacking it from different points to ensure a straight cut, then cleaning up on the belt sander if necessary, would be best.

Perhaps the rubber is so stiff that it doesn't deflect enough, in the lathe, to be dangerous, but will the cut be even enough?

It also seems relevant to mention that even if the cut (by hand, hacksaw/sawzall) were not perfectly parallel to the top plane (top surface that mates to shock tower), the rubber will slightly deflect to correct, and not so much that it would cause pre-mature wear. Your cut needs to be good enough, of course.