04-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Me too, but with BMW's 'jack kit', since I read the E46 jack was too unstable under most conditions (except flat asphalt) to be safe. Can you comment on that? The 'jack kit' has the breaker bar/torque wrench, chock, gloves, and socket, plus I carry TWO different plug kits, but hate how bulky (and heavy) the jack kit is, and that it doesn't fit under the trunk's cover. But it's safe for any surface, which is probably what you're going to end up on stranded on a highway's shoulder. Thx man.

On those asking about a spare, there's a thread with specific part numbers on what fits. Too much trouble for me . Somebody should build them and sell them shipped <hint hint >.
Yes, the E46 jack could be unstable if one is not careful, but that's also why I carry the chock. I wouldn't characterize it as terribly dangerous, but I wouldn't have any part of my body under it either, nor would I with any other jack. I've used it a couple of times to try it out, and it works just fine, properly chocked.

I saw the price of BMW's jack kit, and decided I could do the poor man's version for less than $30 since I already had most of the stuff. Scored the E46 jack on eBAY for $20.