01-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
Thanks for the advice, guys. My doc says that my weight isn't low enough to be worrying about health problems, but I'm still really close to being underweight. I mean I look really, really skinny. I'm gonna try to eat organic foods when possible, I notice a significant different in taste between organic and processed foods. I'm gonna start looking for an affordable (<$600) home gym for some exercise as well. I did pick up some non-GMO soy protein powder, I'm wondering if whey protein would be better?

I believe my insurance fully covers visits to a nutritionist if I have a referral from my primary care physician so I'm gonna look into that.
Soy contains trypsin inhibitors which literally inhibit the breakdown of soy protein deeming it useless as a protein supplement. Soy also contains anti-nutrients (phytates) which bind to minerals. And based on first hand experience, I know for a fact that soy is indeed estrogenic and inhibits thyroid function. Part of my business is salivary steroidal hormone testing so I have objective data indicating soy's estrogenic tendencies.

Most whey powders won't be much better as they are loaded with a bunch of synthetic shit, derived from sick cows, are pasteurized, contain denatured protein, and inflame the small intestine.

One protein powder that I would look into is from raw, organic milk and is cold pressed (not heated) making it extremely bioavailable. The name is Eclater de Sante.

The benefits of your food intake will only be as good as what you are able to digest, assimilate, and eliminate. You are what you eat and can break down. Whole, organic foods are exceptional for this reason. We are designed to eat such foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
Do NOT eat 6 grams of protein a day per pound of body weight, that is very, very unhealthy. The stress is on the kidneys, which has to excrete the waste products from protein breakdown (creatinine and urea) which is what worries people. I'm fairly certain there is no stress on the liver from increased protein intake. I was in your same boat a couple years ago, but have been steadily gaining weight by lifting heavy and eating a lot. Balanced diet is the way to go, with an emphasis on protein. I try to always have something to eat about every 2 hours, not a full meal, but maybe a banana or a protein bar or peanut butter with something. Like others said, you have to intake more calories than you expend, which is difficult with a high metabolism. Eat a lot of good food is my best advice and peanut butter is a great way to get extra calories in for the day.

-Ben
Data does not support your claim of protein intake impairing renal function in healthy populations.

Are you talking organic peanut butter or peanut butter with hydrogenated oils? Many people have allergies to peanuts so be careful with such a recommendation as it may backfire.
Appreciate 0