View Single Post
      04-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #12
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
That should blow your bubble that the RS4 is gone it is still a living beast with a 8250 rpm redline, 90% of peak torque (307 lb.ft) available from 2250 to 7000 RPM.
Compare this with the E92 90% peak of torque (266 lb.ft) available from 2550 to 8200 RPM but take instead 90% of the RS4 max torque and the M3 never gets that much torque.
If you take the 8200 RPM (for 90% peak torque) for the M3 and divide by the 7000 RPM (for 90% peak torque) for the RS4 you get a ratio of 1.17. If you applied a gear with that ratio to the M3 engine the 90% peak torque range from 2550 to 8200 would shift to 2179 to 7008 RPM. But the torque over that range would go from 266 to 311. That's why the M3 and RS4 engines are functionally similar. No matter how you gear it either car can have a wider torque plateau or a higher torque plateau but not both. From a performance standpoint both wider and higher can be equally valuable and it's just a question of applying the "correct" gearing to get what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
The Audi RS4 curb weight is 1680 Kg the M3 curb weight is 1655Kg. Overal the M3 does not seem to have the advantage.
Yes, the Audi weights more, that and the similar engine specs is one reason the Audi is at a *slightly* disadvantage. Suspension and weight distribution are the others.

I never did drive the Audi but after looking at it I wasn't impressed. The $4,500 price delta was the first thing I noticed and I never checked to see what sort of deal you could get. I think I'm the only one in the world but the interior didn't feel right for that price. Just two color choices and the center area seems weak with a little cup where the shifter goes and those plastic arms trailing down from the center dash console to the center floor console. The nav way down low also bothered me, if I'm going to have nav I want the display where I can glance at it quickly not where I have to look way down low in the cabin (and take my eyes off the road longer).

Nonetheless performance wise the two cars are very close (for non-professional drivers) and interior design appreciation is very subjective. With steeper price cuts the RS4 is functionally a very similar car. I hope you enjoy yours just don't buy because of the performance advantage, it isn't there.
Appreciate 0