View Single Post
      09-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Same here; driving manuals all my life, and this car is by far the trickiest. Not only in 1st, but 1>2, and clutch engagement in general. This is one car I wish it had something I typically hate: rev hang . It should have a hair more, since engine drops like a rock too quickly IMO. Leisure gear changes are tricky, which is exactly what this car likes and needs, but the above mentioned techniques help with smoothness. What I like about driving manual vehicles is you can ALWAYS be smoother, so I really enjoy the challenge of improving my shifting every time I drive a car or motorcycle. As a comment, I can drive a Porsche with perfect smoothness right off the bat, and I've never owned one. Perfect rev-matching downshifts, perfect upshifts, perfect clutch engagement, etc. I wouldn't trade my M3 for one, but as far as driving position, controls and shifting, it's the best car IMO. But everything else just don't do it for me (maybe the redesign will make the Cayman S more attractive, which is the only Porsche I'd buy). Take care gang.
It has to do with a high-revving (and fast revving) motor with a decent amount of torque. My previous Audi RS4 was also a little tricky to launch in first when driving slowly, although the clutch was stiffer and more springy, which helped. On the flip side, during fast starts and fast driving in general, the light clutch in the M3 makes "performance" shifting a breeze.

I also agree with another posters comment that the M3's shifter is so light that it can shifted with a very little effort. In fact, it responds much better this way than if you try to man-handle it into gear. When shifting fast, I just gently pull back with pressure from only one or two fingers and it slides like butter. Likewise, upshifts take only slight pressure from between my thumb and first finger.

This is what is so much fun and rewarding with a proper manual....when you learn to work with a particular cars mechanics and master them over time.