06-05-2007, 05:48 AM   #29
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Against my better judgement I'm going to respond to this. I suggest you keep quiet unless you want to make an even bigger fool of yourself than you already have.

The point is that soft-stop has such a minor affect on the driving experience that you could quite happily drive the car and not even know it's there. Only if you CHOOSE to let it intervene by the way you bring the car to a stop does it ever become noticeable.

Not sure I understand the relevance of liking red, modding your car, or the active steering. These are things which are impossible to hide on your car. If you had no choice but to buy the E92 M3, in red, modded and with active steering (if it was even an option) then quite rightly you'd better like these things because they are impossible to ignore on the car.

However, soft-stop is very easy to ignore on the cars which are so equipped. If you think soft-stop has the same impact on the driving experience as active steering (which I don't like), then you are very much mistaken.

Once again, I wouldn't comment on something which you quite clearly know nothing about.
You are in no position to tell anyone to keep quiet on this forum, so use whatever little judgement you have before responding to posts. Such language simply reflects on your person.

You just can't get it, can you? The magnitude of the effect does not matter; I just don't want a semi-intelligent intervention as a part of the breaking system unless it is safety related (even then I'd like to have the option of turning it completely off), and that is my personal attitude toward technology and handling. The system is there to make a difference—no matter how small and even if it is under certain conditions. And as I've said several times, maybe I do like coming to abrupt jerky stops. You simply don't understand how some people relate to their cars, and what their personal philosophy dictates as to what is appropriate in the design of a car and what is not (for themselves). You clearly are not sophisticated enough in these matters to have formed a philosophy of your own, not to mention to respect the principles of others. Go to some custom made car shows, talk to the creators, learn about the different philosophies, and maybe then, you'll have some perspective and clue as to what I am talking about. Oh, reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance might help as well. Good luck man!
Appreciate 0