View Single Post
      07-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
I actually cross shopped the S4 and C63 with the M3 and drove them all. In my situation it came down more to money. The S4 was going to be roughly 10-15k less than the M3. So it became a simple decision of how much I wanted to spend and I ended up going with the M3.

I too was impressed with the S4 though I liked the DSG. The steering in the S4 suprised me as I didn't think it felt as numb as some people say. It also was very fast and I think the 333hp V6 is underrated, feels closer to 350. I actually liked the interior better in the S4 (had the two tone red/black) and the navi I liked better than the iDrive. But the M3 had something that really hooked me and that was in the settings. While the S4 had comfort, normal, and sport the M3 had the ability to adust each setting individually so I could dial up the sportier transmission setting and throttle response without stiffening the suspension on some of these Texas roads. My wife liked the S4 better and is scared to drive the M3. That might be a selling point for the M3.

The M3 had the wicked V8 which I just had to have. 8400rpm in a V8 is rare on all but supercars or race cars so I just had to have it. The M3 seemed to provide more feel and feedback to the S4, but on these dusty Texas roads the M3 has traction issues. The MDM mode is a definate plus, best traction control I've ever experienced. I have grown to prefer it on. Even though this M3 is nearly 6 years old, I still love the styling. The S4 is a very close second but the M3 curves and bulges won me over.

C63 has a great motor too but I ended up crossing it off my list. I liked the M3 better in styling and also the individual settings gave the M3 the edge. So if I was going to spend that kind of money, I was going with the M3.

Bottom line is I thought of the S4 as cheaper alternative to the M3 (at the time there was no 335is or DCT in the 335). I would not have been disapointed in the S4 if the finances had not worked out.
Appreciate 0